Re: Tesla Coil Blunderbusses/another viewpoint

Original poster: "harvey norris by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <harvich-at-yahoo-dot-com>

> Original poster: "Malcolm Watts by way of Terry
> Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>"
> <m.j.watts-at-massey.ac.nz>
>
> Just following on from my last post:
>
> Actually, there is an energy thing buried in here:
> if the gap does
> quench early, it leaves more energy available for
> output sparks
> rather than the gap wasting it on each successive
> transfer.
>     Also, this mechanism, if correct, is probably in
> use in dozens of
> systems already. It seems to be common practice to
> run the primary at
> a lower frequency than the secondary. Many have
> attributed this to
> tuning for streamer loading but I am becoming
> increasingly suspicious
> of this idea. Reason: discharges in a system with a
> large ROC topload
> don't actually issue until the secondary has fully
> or nearly fully
> rung up which leaves the primary out of the picture
> during the
> initial discharge at least. It might also assist gap
> quench in
> systems which until now have attributed earlier
> quench to superior
> construction techniques and complex gap
> configurations. I wonder.
>
> Just thought I'd round things out. The ideas remain
> to be proven or
> shown to be utter rot.
>
> Malcolm
Concerning the issue of quenching problems inherent in
a tesla primary I suggest the following.

Given a spiral primary shown as X's, construct two of
these in layers.

          (Outer connection-exit inner)
0------------------XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX---I-/res
cap/------0
I               *----arc gap --------*
0---/res
cap/---I--XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX--------------------0
           (outer connection-exit inner)

Note; the above scenario is a double negative where
180 phased currents themselves using a spiral pathway
in opposite directions of travel do produce the fields
in unison, contributing to the mutual inductance to
arrive at a near 4 fold increase of inductance than a
single primary will supply. The drawing is made only
to show this idea, where for practical considerations
oppositely wound direction primaries would be used so
that the same inner and outer connections on both
primaries would be employed. In that case the best
option would be to introduce the currents on both
interior spirals and have the arc gap connections made
on the outside endings of the coils.

Now recalculate the capacity needed for a 4 fold
increase of the primary inductance, provided the
spacing between layers is equivalent to the spacing
between winds. Or simply measure this ~4 fold increase
and compute the capacity needed to resonate based on
the increase of series primary inductances. Once this
value is determined it must be doubled, and that is
the quantity used on each side. This because when the
arc between primaries occurs the desired capacity for
resonance will now be twice as small as the single
value used on each side, as the arc schematically
places the caps in series, resulting in the effective
capacity to be half that with two of those values in
series.

Now the primary arcing has the resistance of the
primaries themselves in series with the arc, which
makes quenching an easier issue. In fact I have used
this same approach with very large inductors at 60
hertz resonance to produce arcs that instantaneously
quench themselves, and produce high frequency
signatures of the magnetic fields of the coils used. I
have named this approach a Binary Resonant System,
(BRS) Unfortunately I have not yet tried this scheme
with two tesla primaries, but it would seem to me to
be possible.
Sincerely Harvey D Norris

=====
Binary Resonant System  http://members3.boardhost-dot-com/teslafy/