Re: REAL CAPACITOR (where can i buy one?)

Original poster: "Ed Phillips by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <evp-at-pacbell-dot-net>

Tesla list wrote:

<uncadoc-at-juno-dot-com>

> Hi Ed, All.  What kind of plate or conducting/insulating surface
> arrangement did you find when you went inside the faulty barium cap?
> What the heck is in these things anyway?  I mean, the barium is just an
> exotic clay is it not?  So what makes it work?  What kind of manufactured
> plates are hidding inside that hard clay matrix?  Or is it just the
> different mixtures of clay at center point that give out with the effect
> of capacitance.   Reason I ask, is I am into ceramics and glass fusion
> and I would like to try to make and bake them on an experimenter scale if
> in any way feasible.  Do you think it possible for a home brewer to do
> this with standard compaction and a kiln or hi powered glass fusion
> microwave oven? I would like to fabricate my own ceramic caps, even if
> they are not up to the standard of the industry, it would be a neat
> experiment to try by using the good old red clay from my own backyard!
> Is it possible?   Ideas anyone?   Al.

	The remains are no longer available for inspection, but the general
construction was:

	Disk of ceramic material, around 1/4" thick (this is the part I can't
remember, though I should) and ~2" diameter.  Heavy silver deposit on
each face, and lead post soldered to the middle of each side.  The whole
thing was then potted in a thick epoxy cylinder.  So, in summary,
dielectric was a thick slug of ceramic and "plates" were two coatings of
silver, one on each side of the plate, with leads soldered to the
middle.  I suspect the "plates" were formed from sort of silver paste
which was then fired in a kiln, but don't know.

	The failure consisted of a crack through the ceramic along which a
conductive path was formed.

Ed