Re: On the fly tuning of a TC

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <Mddeming-at-aol-dot-com>

In a message dated 4/16/01 10:15:55 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

Snip - - -

> I screwed the motor underneath my TC's primary winding, with an 18mm piece of
>
> acrylic as an insulator, and connected the arm assembly. with the power to
> the
> TC off i tested it and although it was a little jerky the holder could slide
> from the 4th to the 12th wnding - enough movement for me. I pluged the cable
> into the computer and run the basic written pulse program.
>
> I turned my NST on and amid a shower of sparks from the primary started to
> move
> the holder. suddenly a streamer hit the primary (something very rare - i
> use a
> double toroid configuration) and the computer turned off. It turns out that
> had fried the mainboard of the PC (it was a crappy old 486 not worth the
> £10 I
> paid for it) thorugh toe primary cable
>
> I have still not learnt from my mistakes, and am trying to develop an new
> trpe
> of on the fly tuning. Please reply wiht ideas (or just to take the piss!!!)
>
> Thanks all
>
> Jason

Hi Jason!

Perhaps if
1.    The motor were outside the primary coil pushing in instead of in the
center pushing out,
2.    Had a longer non-conductive drive rod,
3.    Had an RF filter and a shielded computer cable.
4.    The computer cable was positioned so as to not run near any part of the
coil.

I think your computers might last longer.

Matt D.