Re: HV transistors

Original poster: "Ed Phillips by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <evp-at-pacbell-dot-net>

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Matt Skidmore by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <fox-at-woozle-dot-org>

> hi all,
> ive aquired some high voltag transistors while scrounging for caps.
> these transistors were being used in some sort of aircraft gear with
> tranformers rated at 400 cycles 3000 volts. i was wondering if these
> transistors might be usful to myself or perhaps others. all of these were
> bolted to a heatsink, and i have two that were bolted to a VERY LARGE
> heatsink. printed on them are:
> SPC JAN
> -at-N1016B
> CDEZ 8947
> USA
>
> the transformers:
> TF5TX04ZZ
> IND. 0.014 H, 1V, 400HZ
> -at- 2.5A DC
> D.C.R. ; 0.39 OHMS MAX
> WKG V. 3200V.
>
> i understand i good bit of the transformer specs, but have no idea on the
> transistors (if thats what they are). might the transformers be good for
> ballasting or for chokes? the caps i pulled were three .1 uf caps rated
> 5kv oil filled non-pcb with cute little HV legs gray metal case and the
> hardware to mount them down. all this was given to me by a friend who
> wanted me to use it in my coil. i was looking for filter caps for the HV
> end of my nst and i know these are damn well too big. cuz i tried to use
> them and got a weak spark gap and no breakout from the tesla coil.
>
> -fox

	Think you meant 2N1016B. Sorry, but that is a very ancient alloy
junction silicon power transistor, rated at 100 volts max, 7.5 amps max,
current gain at rated collector current is only 5!!!!!  The "cutoff
frequency" is only 0.5 MHz.  Used this series of transistors in a
military switching power supply back in the late '50's.  They were
useless then and I would still consider them useless.  You can buy much
better transistors and IGBT's for a few bucks.  Out of that stuff I
would think the heat sinks might be the only usable part.

Ed