Geek .15uF caps Was: "plate" capacitors

Original poster: "Barton B. Anderson by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <tesla123-at-pacbell-dot-net>

Hi All,

Tesla list wrote:

<A123X-at-aol-dot-com>

> I disagree. An MMC that size using the caps terry sells would cost a huge
> amount. It was $80 for a .005nf at 35kv MMC. Those caps the Geek group is
> selling probably come to a lot lower price though. I'm only building a 10nf
> plate cap. If I had used foil it would be like $15.

The Geek Groups two cap sizes available are .1uF and .15uF. Thus, it takes less
caps to put together an MMC. Less caps = Lower overall costs. For those
that are
looking at the .1uF because they are $1.80 vs. the .15uF which are $2.25,
do some
analysis with both cap sizes. Even though the .1uF cost 45 cents less, the cap
calue is 50% larger and "does" dramatically reduce the number of caps
required and
therefore the overall costs. So, don't assume the smaller cap size will be
overall
cost less than the larger cap size.

The JavaMMC Designer should help you check this out for yourself. JavaMMC
uses the
caps lead length as an input. These caps should come with approximately
41mm (min)
of lead length per leg. I'm not promoting JavaMMC, but rather I'd like some
of you
cap buyers to consider buying the .15uF cap sizes (because I'd like to the Geek
Group to get to that minimum bulk buy value of 250 caps so I can get these caps
sooner than later - hey, at least I'm honest - <grin>).

 http://www.classictesla-dot-com/java/javammc.html

Take care all,
Bart A.