Re: The Geek Group Caps For Sale

Original poster: "Yurtle Turtle by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <yurtle_t-at-yahoo-dot-com>

Yes. I had a bleed resistor arc over. I bought them a
long time ago and didn't get good ones. They were
cheap carbon film ones. The damage would have been
minimal, but I kept running through the flames. Photos
will be posted shortly.

I'm convinced that the damage was due to massive
primary strikes, though I haven't really sat down to
analyze this. My primary has nearly 20 turns, but I'm
only using 10 - 15, depending on which secondary and
topload I use. I've had two catastrophic events, which
I'm blaming on primary strikes: The resistor arc over,
which was a problem waiting to happen. And the latest
event was when my primary support caught on fire. My
primary support is 1/2" lexan, and caught on fire at
the exact spot that massive primary strikes were
occurring.

I'd recommend using the resistors Terry suggested for
your MMC.

I'm also going to use a strike rail on my next
primary. I never believed in them, but perhaps with
lots of extra primary turns, there's some kind of
wierd autotransformer thing happening on the end. In
any event, 6 kVA sparks are hot, and can cause things
to heat up.

I'm also curious as to whether anyone else noticed the
Geek Group CD dv/dt  and current ratings. They seem
kind of low to me. I got Seacor caps with the
following specs:

47 nF
1,600 VAC
550 VDC