Re: Xfrmr theory, was Re: I could cry......

Original poster: "kc5uto by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <kc5uto-at-wt-dot-net>

Hi all,

    I am horrible with the math and theory, but do have
plenty of coiling experience. I have pushed transformers
well beyond the point of saturation and still obtained
substantial output (though this is not the best thing for
the trans:). A good example would be our pig. It is a
5kva/7.2kv unit. We have run this pig as high as 24kw (100a
at 240), but that’s not the interesting thing; that was
not at 7.2kv, it was at 14.4kv. The input was applied to
only one half of the primary (normally the 120 output). The
transformer must have been saturated because it drew 100a
with or with out drawing and arc. Judging by the size of the
arc I would say it was defiantly putting out what it was
taking in (not implying 100% efficiency here :). You can see
the arc pics at this power level on our page: www.hvguy-dot-com

Just an observation :)
-Aron