Mathematics of Tesla coils (was Re: Design tool: TC-plan V 1.0)

Original poster: "Marco Denicolai by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <marco.denicolai-at-tellabs-dot-com>

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Loudner, Godfrey by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <gloudner-at-SINTE.EDU>

(SNIP)
> I think that the mathematics of Tesla coils is a mystery
> needing explication. Somehow Tesla coilers will have to workout the details
> themselves. The great mathematical physicists of the world will not work on
> these problems. Thinking about the mathematical nature of Tesla coils will
> not lead to tenure at a university, or will research grants be awarded to
> support such work.

The mathematics of a Tesla coil are well known starting from 1904,
through all the last century, with some clarifications about optimizing
the working point done only during the last decades. Those equations are
rock solid still today.

The TSSP group has recently reached a level of precision in simulating
the secondary coil that can hardly be improved (IMHO).

The influence of some tenths of practical factors (mostly losses and
excitation type) to the streamer formation, length and shape are the
real today's mistery. And this has been (and is being) researched by the
scientific community: they simply aren't using Tesla coils for their
researches.

Comments anybody?

Regards

--

 Marco Denicolai           Senior Design Engineer
 Tellabs Oy                tel: +358 9 4131 2769