Re: ground rules 1

Original poster: "Gregory Hunter by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <ghunter31014-at-yahoo-dot-com>

Hi Ken,

> Original poster: "Ken Murrell by way of Terry Fritz
> <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <kambj-at-hotmail-dot-com>
>

>    Hi ken back again and thanks for the ongoing
> help.
>
>    does a large spark gap produce greater output?

Are you asking about the width of gap the spark must
jump, or the physical size of the spark gap
components? A gap opened to the widest opening that
the power supply can reliably jump usually gives the
best output. This is not always the case, and it is
best to experiment with spark gap adjustment until the
best output is obtained.

>    how do I convert cap specs to physical size ie
> plate area in
>    square inches,with given dialectic,and alum
> flashing?

I use a program called TESLAC to do that for me. Based
on dimensions it can estimate the capacity of homebrew
caps in a few seconds.

>    are those large 5foot sparks visable in daylight?

What large 5 foot sparks? Tesla coil output sparks
don't show up well in daylight.  Sometimes they are
practically invisble.  I think it is an indoors or
nighttime proposition.

>                                               Ken

Cheers,

Greg