Electromagnetically quenched gaps / plans

Original poster: "Tesla Museum by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <tesla-at-electrotherapymuseum-dot-com>

Hello,
About a year or so ago I was experimenting with Poulsen Arcs, Singing
Arcs, and plans for building Tesla Coils
that operated straight off of the mains using spark gaps in a hydrogen
environment with large magnetic fields perpendicular to the gap.

These gaps originally were used in wireless transmissions and also
for novel apparatus such as musical instruments
in "the singing arc", and by Duddell and others for undampened oscillations
of high frequency for
high powered surgical diathermy and related medical use in the 19teens
and 1920s.

A very large magnetic field can be used to quench a gap, I do have
plans for such about 80 miles from here that I can acquire.
I remember also having novel plans for electrolytic rectifiers.
I believe a.c. would work to some extent, but, there *was* some form
of
recitifier in the circuit.  Being from 1915 or so, it wasn't too
terriblly complicated to build.

However, the hydrogen gaps were another matter.  I had extreme difficulty
in constructing these, and remember that they were filled with
black soot in operation and needed to be cleaned often.  As well
as my hands, in getting covered with it!

I remember experimenting with large magnetic fields and carbon arcs,
and the results were astonishing.  Not so much for
efficiency, but in SOUND!  They SCREACHED with a sound so loud and
so peculiar, that the closest approximation I can
give would be to put a microphone and amplifier in front of a squealing
pig, and turning it up full blast until the squeals are
drenched with feedback.  This is only an approximation :) , but,
believe me, the sound is strange and deafening !!

Jeff Behary, http://www.electrotherapymusem-dot-com

At Saturday, 21 April 2001, you wrote:

>Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <A123X-at-aol.
com>

>I'm pretty sure if you made an alternating current electromagnet
for gap
>quenching it would work, but always blow it the same direction because
the
>poles on the magnet switch direction when the current in the spark
gap does.

>In a message dated 4/21/01 1:49:16 PM Eastern Daylight Time, tesla-at-pupman.
com
>writes:
>

>> Would it be possible to use electromagnets running on 120, or
maybe even
>> make
>> a large electromagnet running on the HV source (OBIT, NST ...)?
I thought