Re: The NEW Tesla Museum

Original poster: "Tesla Museum by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <tesla-at-electrotherapymuseum-dot-com>

Bart,

Thank you for the reply.  The threaded coil forms are really appealing,
both to the eye and in operation.
The spark gap photos are incomplete so far as I have new gap designs
that are more efficient yet and use
larger diameter tungsten ( 3/16", 1/4", 5/16", 3/8", 1/2"... )
They work very well when used in series gaps.  I have used a 5-series
gap with a machine that draws
1 1/2 kilowatts using a 2kV transformer and it works exceptionally
well.  I have also a 6-series gap that I use with another
1 1/2 kilowatt machine that uses a 15kV transformer.

The 2kV gap gets hot, but remains quenched even if operated continuosly.
This has to do with the close spacing of the gaps.
It uses monster 3/4" tungsten!!!!  The machine it was designed for
HAD to remain continuous without flucuations, it was a
powerful piece of medical equipment that attatched the poles of the
primary coil to the human body.  Any failure of gap would
mean instant death to the patient!

The 15kV gap is barely warm when operating, and uses 1/2" tungsten.
The gaps are about 1/10" apart.

For any coil of this size kva or lower, I certainly would not go
to the effort of a rotary gap for the avg hobbiest coil.

I have a VULCAN X-Ray coil that draws close to 30 amps and it uses
a SINGLE SPARK GAP that is well quenched,
1" x 1/8" rectangular tungsten!  It is amazing in every detail.
The discharge, when the gap is adjusted ranges from a shower of hot

sparks 8" long that heats the air intensely, to a 7" flame that rattles
the floor that is thick and hot enough to melt anything in it's path!
When I say 7" flame, it is actually over a foot long when you account
for the fact that is bows upward from convection currents.  It is
one MEAN discharge!

Jeff Behary

At Saturday, 21 April 2001, you wrote:

>Original poster: "Barton B. Anderson by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest.

>net>" <tesla123-at-pacbell-dot-net>
>
>Hi Jeff, All,
>
>Great web site! This was really a lot of fun to look around. I especially
>liked the Tesla Coil section showing
>the 200% closeup view of the wound secondary on the threaded form.
You are