Re: I could cry......

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <uncadoc-at-juno-dot-com>

Hhhhmmm, could it have something to do with the two secondary coils, one
at each end of the primary?  Could this be where the rated power of a
neon is found?   Al.

On Mon, 16 Apr 2001 17:04:37 -0600 "Tesla list" <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
writes:
> Original poster: "Peter Lawrence by way of Terry Fritz
> <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <Peter.Lawrence-at-Sun-dot-com>
>

> I am very puzzled by this claim. A 12-120 NST actually puts out
> about
> 6-kv at 60-ma when in service in a neon sign, and I've disected some
> NSTs
> and measured their iron core cross section area and that always
> seems to
> agree with 6 x 60 => 360 watts for this example, not 1440 or 2880
> watts.
>
> I've never seen an NST whose core cross section would support its
> face-plate
> rating kV x mA (as opposed to other kinds of power transformers).
>
> It was my understanding (possibly incorrect...) that core cross
> section
> determines maximum power transfer because the cross section limits
> the
> magnetic field energy and therefore the secondary power output.
>
> Can anyone clarify this issue?
>
> -Peter Lawrence.

> got a
> >feeling
> >>  > I'm TERRIBLY inefficiant right now.
> >>
> >>  65"  SRSG would help.
> >
> >It is helpful to keep in mind that a NST with a SRSG (or even with
> >a static gap), can provide double its rated power, esp if a step-up
> >type variac is used.  For instance, a 12/120 NST, although rated at
> >1440 watts, can actually deliver 2880 watts.  With this power, an
> >efficient coil should give 91" sparks.
> >
> >John Freau

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno-dot-com/get/tagj.