Re: The NEW Tesla Museum/Stationary Quenched Gaps

Original poster: "Tesla Museum by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <tesla-at-electrotherapymuseum-dot-com>

Jeff K-

TTR's Model 2 does use this same spark gap.  (Thanks for noticing!)
The closeup photo on my site is rather poor because I actually scanned
the entire gap (it was before I had a digital camera).

I did not use G10 for the base but rather XX phenolic.  These gaps
do not get very hot when operated with 12 or 15kV.
The tungsten used was 2% thoriated bar stock, cut and ground using
a diamond wheel.

I am currently doing AutoCad drawings of various unique gaps from
the old machines I have.  As I have stated on another
post, I have used 100 year old stationary spark gaps in machines
that drew 10 - 30 amperes -at- 110V, and all worked without fail.

The Seeley Electric Vulcan X-Ray Coil can draw over 20 amps and uses
a SINGLE spark gap, that remains quenched.
It uses tungsten rectangles 1/8" x 1" wide on copper finned heatsinks.

I've made dozens of spark gaps from all materials, tungsten carbide,
aluminum, brass, bronze, steel, stainless, titanium, monel,
inconel, silver, platinum, and carbon, and the only conclusion to
all is that TUNGSTEN is the only practical choice.

I have nothing against Rotary Spark Gaps, the first Tesla Coil "The
Knott Apparatus" used one, but, to me I would rather not
build one if I can get away with it.  Motors are not inexpensive
by any means, nor is G10 !!!!

Jeff

Jeff Behary
http://www.electrotherapymuseum-dot-com

>The type of static gap Bart refers to I believe, is a very good gap,
>it must be because that style has been around for 100 years for
>one thing and an other is if you look at Bill's site www.ttr-dot-com  I
>think his model 2  uses this type of gap, so it must work very well.
>
>as far as if it's as good as a G10/tungsten SRGS ...  sorry but that's
>like comparing apples and oranges,  one is a static gap the other
>is a synchronous rotary.
>
>I thought it was a great web site also, cool stuff ! neat info !
>
>good day all
>
>JK.......

You are