Re: Effective application of flat aluminum tape to double curved surfaces?

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <Mddeming-at-aol-dot-com>

In a message dated 4/22/01 9:50:56 PM Eastern Daylight Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> Original poster: "David Knaack by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <
>
> dknaack-at-rdtech-dot-com>
>
> Ok, I picked up toroidal foam form from the craft store, and
> a 50 yard roll of Al tape.  The form is 12" O.D. and 8.5" I.D.
> It is made of some remarkably tough stuff, most normal humans
> would be hard-pressed to crush or dent it with one hand.
>
> I've wrapped it with one layer of tape, winding it in a spiral
> with about 1/4" overlap on each layer.  After rubbing it with
> the back of a spoon and wiping off all the black stuff
> (aluminum oxide I presume), it looks about like I expected,
> covered in lots of really flat wrinkles :)
>
> Is there a way to get this stuff really smooth, or am I just
> out of luck with this fairly tight radius?
>
> DK

Hi DK!
Thinner tape, larger id toroid, or tape cut in lune sections. i.e., shaped
like  peel sections ( ).
Matt D.