Re: Spark-gap sparks vs. solid-state sparks

Original poster: "Bert Hickman by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <bert.hickman-at-aquila-dot-net>

John, Ken, and all,

John, I believe you are correct. Have you watched (in a completely darkened
room with dark-adapted eyes) a coil operating just below the point of
streamer breakout? For a disruptive coil topped with a toroid of large
minor diameter, the outermost surface of the toroid (the region of highest
E-field) is bathed in a diffuse bluish glow. Upon closer examination, it
can be seen that this glow actually consists of countless bush-like
discharges. Technically called streamer corona and coronal flashes, these
are "cold" discharges that are the predecessors to true leader formation
(or "breakout"). As the coil operates, these individual flashes constantly
flash and wink out of existence, being brighter at the toroid surface,
dimming as they extend outward to the limits of visibility. On my system,
the visible portion of these discharges extend outward by as much as 12-18"
(versus 65" leaders after breakout occurs). At this stage, the overall
average current flow is low if compared to that of a fully formed leader,
but it is NOT zero. In fact, per Bazelyan ("Spark Discharge") the peak
currents of these coronal flashes may actually be in the ampere range but
individual discharges may last only tens or hundreds of nanoseconds.

Each of these discharges effectively transfers an increment of charge from
the toroid to the space charge in the surrounding region. This would appear
to the topload as an additional resistive and capacitive load as charge is
injected and removed from the surrounding region during polarity reversals
of the topload. Paul's latest TSSP model (Section 2) indicates that even
small resistive loading tends to reduce resonator frequency. Perhaps the
combination of the additional capacitive loading and energy loss through
these cold discharges account for the observed frequency shifts prior to
the more obvious added capacitance of fully formed leaders...

-- Bert --
--
Bert Hickman
Stoneridge Engineering