triggered gap update and question

Original poster: "Metlicka Marc by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <mystuffs-at-orwell-dot-net>

all,
i have been trying to get my triggered gap that is setup inside the
pyrex tube to fire by field distortion, i'm using the setup posted by
bert hickman and i'm using the 1/2" wide hard copper strip from the back
of a CRT of a television for the trigger electrode.
the strip is wound around the outside of the tube, 1 1/8"dia in a spiral
and i haven't had any luck getting it to fire regularly.
my question is: should i solder the ends together making a closed ring?
or should i just use an open ring, like a C?
is the ford coil to low of voltage or current for this or is the
distance from the gap to great?
one thing, for the blocking capacitor, i am using one of my 50kv 100nf
NWL capacitors, could this be a problem?
any suggestions or help, as always, is greatly appreciated
marc m.