Re: Smooth coatings on the secondary

Original poster: "Barton B. Anderson by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <tesla123-at-pacbell-dot-net>

Hi Will,
I don't have any photo's of my winding setup (it's torn apart at the
moment), but I'll try to
describe.

I used dc motor on a belt (about 5 volts turned it nice and slow). I made
two wooden end caps from
wooden wire spools. I drilled 4 holes about middle of the end caps then cut
slots. If you can
visualize this, the slots were used to attach metal dowels (about 3" long)
that could slide from
the center outward. This allows me to mount it to a wide variety of
secondary diameters. The end
cap is put on, the dowels are on the inside of the secondary and slid to
the edge. It takes a
little work to get them so the secondary is centered to the end cap.

One end cap has a bearing mounted to it (free spinning side). The other has
a steel shaft mounted
in the center that protrudes outward. I then simply set up a stand. On one
end is a shaft which the
free spinning end cap slides into. The other side of the has a bearing that
slides onto the shaft
and keeps the end caps together (doesn't allow them to walk out while
rotating). I then mount a
pulley to the shaft and drive it with a DC motor via a belt.

It works good for winding and coating the secondary's. When winding, it is
important to keep
tension on the winding. I routed the wire through a small vinyl tubing and
used a tie wrap to
tighten down on the tubing until the drag on the wire was appropriate. I
guided it by hand when
winding.

For coating, I brush on and let the secondary turn slowly all day and night
between coats.

Anyway, that's how I did it. There are better ways out there, but this was
just a throw together
gizmo.

Take care,
Bart A.