Re: Vacumm Pups Source

Original poster: "Ed Phillips by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <evp-at-pacbell-dot-net>

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Dr. Duncan Cadd by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <dunckx-at-freeuk-dot-com>

> Hi Jan, Ed!
>
> >Just want to pop in here... with a cheap aspirator you can reach
> about 50
> >Torr with a household water faucet, and maybe can do better with
> higher
> >water pressure and a better constructed aspirator. <snip>
>
> Absolutely right.  I've found the all-glass ones to be significantly
> better than the plastic ones.  Also if you have direct mains water
> pressure (kitchen taps are usually direct-to-mains and the one out in
> my garage is too) it does indeed make a big difference to running the
> thing off a header tank in the attic.  Finally, the water temperature
> makes a difference too, because of the vapour pressure variations.  A
> pump which would pull say 25mmHg in summer would get down to better
> than 15mmHg in winter, once I measured 8mmHg with a really excellent
> glass pump, but the water temperature was only around 4C (it was a bit
> nippy in the lab too ;-)
>
> Dunckx
> Geek#1113 (G-1)

1. Where do you get a decent glass aspirator?

2. If water temperature makes a difference, as I'm sure it does, would a
cold trap help in the process?  If so, that would sure be of value in
the evacuation of capacitors prior to oil backfill.

3. Does the inlet water pressure change the ultimate pressure or just
the pumping rate?

Ed

Ed