Re: DC rotary gap?

Original poster: "G by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <nieporgo-at-email.uc.edu>

>Original poster: "Jason Johnson by way of Terry Fritz
><twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <hvjjohnson13-at-hotmail-dot-com>
>
>Whatever you can find that looks good to you will work. I would look for a
>1/4+ horse 90vdc motor. They come in various RPMs, around 5000 would be
>good. You can power it off a variac and full wave bridge rectifier. AC
>motors will work too, but they're not as easy to vary RPMs from zero to max,
>because they really need a variable frequncy drive, where DC motors vary
>with input voltage. You may want to put a DC voltmeter in the circuit and/or
>a tachometer. Your BPS will vary, depending on the size of your cap,
>voltage, and power you want to be able to run. You can figure the approx.
>BPS w/ the formula:

I am glad you recommend a dc motor, i would hate to have to
breadboard a VFD just to get the speed range I want :)
Do you recommend smoothing the bridge output at all? I suppose
driving a motor is a non-critical load.
Thanks for the information!
Greg
ps- does anyone have a recommendation or a web link to a cheap hv
probe (or plans for one) to add on to my multimeter? i need some way
to match up my mot's other than core size :)
--

ICQ 95403614