Re: Inexpensive HV probes

Original poster: "Jim Lux by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <jimlux-at-earthlink-dot-net>

By using two of these dividers in series, with your meter across the pair
of 100K resistors, adding a 200K resistor across the two hundred K
resistors, and grounding the middle point, you have a MUCH safer apparatus.
 The existing circuit shown will float the meter at basically the voltage
of the right hand terminal.  If you are measuring to ground (i.e. grounding
the right hand terminal), the meter is at ground potential, BUT, if the
ground wire comes loose, the whole thing floats up to HV. Bad things can
also happen if other wires come loose.  With a pair of dividers, even if
one of the grounds comes off, or you lose a lead, the meter case is held
close to ground.

A typical DVM is probably insulated for 1000V relative to ground, so you
should look at your circuit and consider ALL possible failures (shorts or
opens), and see if there is any way your meter can wind up at more than 500
or so volts relative to ground.

HV --- big resistor -- 100K - ground - 100K ---- big resistor -- other HV

Another strategy is to get some of the low voltage sealed spark gaps like
they use in surge suppressors (or, even, neon bulbs).  Hook them up from
each meter lead to ground, and if something does go wrong, they'll clamp it
to a safe voltage.

Be particularly aware of what will happen if a fuse blows.  It's easy to
have a fuse blow and then have your entire system wind up floating at HV.