RE: Balancing L/C Sizes

Original poster: "Malcolm Watts by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <m.j.watts-at-massey.ac.nz>

Hi Terry,
          I suppose I count as "anyone":

On 29 Apr 01, at 15:58, Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "terry oxandale by way of Terry Fritz
> <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <toxandale-at-cei-dot-net>
>
> A very same question I have pondered myself. Anyone??????

I'm not sure this analogy is the best preferring as I do, the two
swings on a rope analogy. You might think of trying to dump 10J into
a secondary that is just few inches high - it will of course flash
over its windings. As far as the primary cap goes, you can load an
identical amount of energy into any capacitance provided it has the
voltage rating. Generally, you'd choose the primary capacitance
according to the available transformer. The secondary must be tall
enough to withstand whatever voltage it ends up with when the primary
cap energy is transferred to it.

 While the primary coil is more
> of a transfer device, (funnel) than bucket, it seems that there must
> be some sort of min/Max size constraint, but I can't recall any
> discussion of an energy storage equation for a coil.

Without getting into a discusion of distribuited circuits you can
usefully use 0.5*C*V^2 = 0.5*L*I^2 as a working approximation to
describe equivalences between energy stored in an electric field
(capacitance) and energy stored in a magnetic field (inductance).

 Likewise, the
> secondary can be looked at as a device to "funnel" charge into the
> topload and ultimately to the streamers. It seems to me that there
> should be some sort of calculable optimal range of sizes out of the
> infinite combinations of L & C for any frequency. It is somewhat
> hinted at in the "rules of thumb" about power, coil size, and topload
> size, but I can't seem to find anything definitive. Perhaps some of
> the theoreticians could elucidate, or a historian could point me to a
> thread I missed?
>
> Seeking light and lightning in the hills,
>
> Matt D.

Is that any help?

Malcolm