Re: NST frequency

Original poster: "Kevin Ottalini by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <ottalini-at-mindspring-dot-com>

Darin:
        I would guess that this is a high-frequency (20khz to 80Khz)
inverter design,
and you probably don't want to de-encapsulate it.

Knowing the frequency won't help since you won't be able to sync it up.
Your
only option is to rectify the output and build a DC Tesla coil.  If the
output
is not sufficient in voltage, then you should be able to double or triple
the voltage efficiently, but again to DC.

I assume this was originally from a car neon sign or similar ...

For a basic circuit, you can look at my Marx generator schematic that
uses a DC to AC to DC to DC (whew) scheme.  The inverter is probably
similar to yours, and all you need is the Cockroft.  NTE sells doublers
and triplers for TV sets that might be able to handle the AC and produce
up to 30kv DC if you don't want to build one.

http://www.mindspring-dot-com/~ottalini/

You can also look at the files on the FTP site for info on building DC
coils.

Good luck,
        Kevin