Blowing dimmers in triggers, gap behavior

Original poster: "jpeakall by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <jpeakall-at-mcn-dot-org>

Howdy All,

Blew my 700 watt dimmer. Same as the last one, small wire inside crisped, no
other damage. I could fix it. However, when it blows, it seems hard on the
system i.e.. safeties fire like crazy and so on. A 1000 watt dimmer gets
pricey, and I bet I can blow one of them too. Any alternatives to the
dimmer? Even something non-adjustable? Or what about a variac, I have a
little 4.5amp.

Initially I was having trouble adjusting the gap so that the trigger could
start the arcs, but the NST couldn't start arcing unaided. The tolerances
were very close, and I couldn't get it adjusted to fire reliably. I decided
that my ordinary IC wasn't arcing far enough, so I went and got a HEIC. Now
my problem is that the trigger arc jumps my safeties, and initiates an arc
there. Stopped messing with it, as the cold medicine I was taking was
making me dopey. I found myself reaching for a hot wire. HV and cold
medicine don't
mix!

Thanks,

Jonathan Peakall