RE: Awsome first light !! but...

Original poster: "Lau, Gary by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Gary.Lau-at-compaq-dot-com>

While your safety gap may have been set for 12kV, what was your main gap set
to?  It sounds like your main gap was set to something higher and allowed
the safety to fire.

As a side issue, it's generally not recommended to use a safety gap alone
across your cap.  With no safety gap current-limiting, the discharge current
could potentially be bad for your cap.  Also, it's impossible for the cap
voltage to ever be any higher than the voltage across your main gap.
Whatever your main gap is set to will also limit the cap voltage, and the
cap-gap is redundant.

Gary Lau
MA, USA

>Original poster: "The Big Giant Kevin by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <neo4s-at-hotmail-dot-com>