Re: cockroff

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Mddeming-at-aol-dot-com>

Hi John, All,

> Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <
> Mildewhaus-at-aol-dot-com>
>
> Forgive my lack of knowledge but ,all week on the list is"cockroff" . Now
> of
> course this is H.V. but exactly what? How does it work? How is a simple
> one(if there is such a thing) made? Thanks guys,the list still amazes me!
>                                                    john in nyc

Sir John D Cockcroft and Ernest T.S. Walton developed the first linear
particle accelerator. A Cockroft-Walton Generator as it is known was still
being used at Argonne National Laboratory when I was visiting there in '86 to
provide first stage acceleration (750 Kev) for their synchrotron.
Matt D.