Re: SRSG

In a message dated 8/3/01 1:15:43 PM Eastern Daylight Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Cydesho-at-aol.
> com>
>
>  I had a question that I hope someone can answer. I am working on a
>  synchronous rotary spark gap. Since its important that the motor be
salient
>  pole, I assume that the electrodes placed on the rotating disc have be
lined

>  up in a certain way in relation to the armature. Should the electrodes be
>  aligned with the flats or should they be aligned with something else? I
> would
>  think that if they weren't aligned properly, then the break wont occur at
> the
>  peaks of the sine wave. If anyone has any info it would be really helpful.
>                                  Justin

Justin,

The relationship matters in a sense, but the phasing is not
generally done that way.... too tricky.   rather, one just rotates
the disc on the shaft to correct the phase, or as is more commonly
done, rotates the entire motor in it's cradle (if it's in a cradle).
Some folks even make the fixed electrodes movable, but I don't
recommend that.   Another way is to use the electrical phase
controller at my website at:

   http://hometown.aol-dot-com/futuret/page3.html

JOhn Freau