Re: Mystery Transformer

Original poster: "BunnyKiller by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <bigfoo39-at-telocity-dot-com>

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Gregory Hunter by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <ghunter31014-at-yahoo-dot-com>

> Dear List,
>
> I have a big, fat, E I type transformer I'm hoping you
> can help me identify. It is labeled: "RANDTRONICS
> 143A00379" and "SDS MAGNETICS".  The dimensions are
> 7.5"W, 6.25"H, and 3.5"D.  The core windows are about
> 1.25"W x 3.25"H.  The center leg is about 2.5" x 3.5".
>  It has eight, screw-type terminals, four to a side.
> The terminals on one side are labeled X1 thru X4, and
> on the other side they are labeled H1 thru H4.  The
> thing is painted gloss black.  It appears to be held
> together by a bolt thru each corner--perhaps it can be
> disassembled?  Does anybody know what I've got?  My
> first thought was that I would use the core to wind a
> HV transformer, but I'm afraid the windows are too
> narrow for that.  Comments anyone?
>
> Best Regards,
>
> Greg

> http://phonecard.yahoo-dot-com/

Hi Greg...

looks like you either have a 3 phase 240 V trannie rated for about  .5KVA
or it is a 240 to 120  buck
boost trannie rated for 1KVA ...    if you remove the present wires and
rewind it as an inductor with a
single core of # 10 ( 200 winds) wire you can get about 25 amps worth of
inductor at about 240V

do a test and hook 120V to the H1 and H4   and read with a voltmeter X1 and
X4 this wil tell you if it is
a 240 to 120 trannie ( you should read 60V on X1 and X4)

if you have the patience ...  yes it could be wound for Hi Volt trannie
about 50 winds #10 or lower and
about 6000 turns of #20 or 22 wire will result in 12KV BUT you will have to
soak the trannie in bee's wax
( not parafin) to get a good hi volt protection...  there are other things
to coat the coil in to produce
a good protective coating ( Glyptol, etc)

read  the other posts before you start wackin...

Scot D