Re: safety gaps on capacitors

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Parpp807-at-aol-dot-com>

Gary and John,
Obviously, since the case of an oil filled cap can be connected to the
chassis, ground usually, there must be some sort of internal case such as a
vitreous substance.
I though that the plates were submerged in the oil bath (pcb back in the good
days)
with each set of plates suspended from a hanger arrangement forming one
external terminal. So construction must vary from one manufacturer to annuder.
Also, what would be a variation in the quality? I have nothing but CD or
Sprague
oil filled caps  working in my amplifiers and have never known one to fail. I
would guess that unless they are frequently over-volted to arc internally and
leave a lot of carbon in the oil, they are largely indestructable.

Happy day,
Ralph Zekelman