Re: Safty Gaps Fire with discarges

>  It Should also that my safety gap is not equal. I set it as told, moving
the
>  electrodes in until they arced with just the NST attached. Then out a very
>  tiny bit. The approximate settings are 6/32 and 9/36. Strange. What are
>  other people setting there's at?
>  Alex Madsen

Alex,

It may be that the NST is defective and failing.  This would explain
the weak output and unequal gap settings.  Both sides of the NST
should give identical sparking lengths.  I guess you mean 9/32
which is a little over 1/4" for the widest side.  I often set my
12/30 NST for that spacing also.  I just looked at my TT-42
safety gap, and I have it set at 7/16" on each side of the NST.
However, my safety gaps *never* fire due to the controlled
nature of the sync rotary gap I'm using.
Basically, narrow gaps will give shorter sparks, but long NST
life.  Wider gaps will give longer sparks, but possibly shorter
NST life.  One never knows how long an NST will last.  You
can buy a new one, and put all the safety features on it, with
a narrow gap and it may still blow out.  Or you can abuse
it with wide gaps, and it can last seemingly forever... one
never knows with NST's.

John Freau