Re: Electrode Tips

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Hollmike-at-aol-dot-com>

In a message dated 8/12/01 2:04:20 PM Pacific Daylight Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> I think copper sulfate is used for home/garden stuff.  Maybe ponds?  I have
> no idea were to get sulfuric acid.  We have fuming sulfuric at work but
> that is darn nasty stuff.  I don't know if there is an easy source for it
> or a substitute?
>
> Cheers,
>
>    Terry

  Yes, copper sulfate is a commonly used algicide.   Although all the
plating baths I have ever used contained sulfuric acid, I don't know that it
is really necessary.  I think it merely adds to the conductivity of the
solution and increases the efficiency.  That probably doesn't really matter
if one is just plating a small piece or two.
  Actually,  if you want to take the time to do it, you can make a saturated
solution of copper sulfate and use a lead anode(+ electrode for anyone
unfamiliar with the term).  You will deposit copper metal on the cathode,
release oxygen bubbles from the lead anode and generate sulfuric acid.  The
hydrogen ions (from splitting water molecules) replace the copper ions in the
solution.  Once you have generated a bit of sulfuric acid, you can replace
the lead anode with a hunk of copper to continue plating forever with that
solution.  You might want to add a bit more copper sulfate crystals if the
concentration get very low from the acid generation.
Mike