Re: neon light

Original poster: "James T by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <jamest2000-at-att-dot-net>

Hi Justin, All,

<Cydesho-at-aol-dot-com>

> Lately there has been a lot of discussion about the trouble with using
> fluorescent bulbs for testing the synchronicity of motors. Some people have
> suggested using the small neon bulbs

<<< snipski >>>

>                                         Justin

 Believe it or not those new "super bright" LEDs are really bright! I have some
that will throw a red spot on the wall six feet away.
 Just put a 10-12K resistor and a 1N4004-4007 doide in series with the LED
and you
have a sync checker. I tried it just to see how well it would work. It's
not bad
for under a dollar.
 Then I put a dimmer on it, with a 40 watt light bulb to smooth the dimmer. It
actually showed a bit of phase shift. Not good enough for setting the
rotary but
interesting.
 The drawback is the same as neon and flourescent, the image is sort of blurry,
stable but blurry.
Regards,
James