Re: electrostatic charges and TC's

Original poster: "BunnyKiller by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <bigfoo39-at-telocity-dot-com>

Tesla list wrote:

<Cydesho-at-aol-dot-com>

> I was running my coil today for a couple of minutes and after I was done, I
> went to pick up a extra toroid that was lying in the vicinity. I got a big
> static shock from it. I  didn't think that tesla coils built up static
> charges because the operate on alternating current.
>                                 Justin

Hi Justin....

T-Coils put out ( tremendious amounts of EMF depending on the size of the
active
coil) and can charge many items in the surrounding area...   my bigpig coil is
almost 1/2 the frequency of my smaller 8" coils natural frequency and when
I run
the bigpig coil I have to make sure the smaller coil is NOT near anything
metallic....
I have seen the smaller secondary/toriod combo sitting on the bench arcing
to tools
and such when the bigpig coil is running ( we are talking 3" arcs from the
smaller
secondary grounding lead to nearby tools and such in close proximinty to earth
grounded items... ( like variacs plugged into the socket, extension cords, and
nearby power tools) not a good situation...   I could imagine that a toriod
can be
charged quite easily...

also the capacity of the secondary that was just run can also carry a
charge even
tho it has been disconected fron the coil assembly and "discharged".
depending on
the secondaries make up, ( PVC, lexan, cardboard) will determine the
"retaining"
factor of the charge of the secondary....  my smaller coil ( lexan tube)
holds a
viscious charge and the bigpig coil ( sonotube ... cardboard) has a minimal
charge
holding capacity...

be sharp keep on looking....   and dont let the secondary ground point hit
your leg
when carrying the secondary with both hands....

Scot D