quench gap

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Kidd6488-at-aol-dot-com>

Hi everyone,
      Quench gap. Does anyone use these anymore? they sound like they would
work pretty well.

Quench Gap - A special type of multi-electrode static spark gap sealed in an
enclosure filled with air. After a few seconds of operation, the oxygen
inside the enclosure is burned away, leaving the gap to operate in a Nitrogen
atmosphere (air is 80% Nitrogen). The Nitrogen atmosphere makes the gap
self-quenching without the need for mechanical assistance from fans or
blowers.

-from Greg's Garage - hot-streamer-dot-com/greg
(sorry to plagiarize O:-\   )

Would a Tupperware container work OK for one of these?
I'm trying to get information on many different gaps, so that I might be able
to incorporate them into a science fair project.

Jonathon Reinhart
hot-streamer-dot-com/jonathon
(577 hits and counting!)