John freau heat pipe

Original poster: "Robert by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <rheidlebaugh-at-zialink-dot-com>

a heat pipe can be made at home with common tools and a lot of careful work.
It is a hollow tube lined with a wick with a hollow passage in the center
for vapor to pass. Cooled liquid passes through the wick. one end is hot the
other is cool. the system works best in a vertical position, but will work
horizontal to some extent. The liquid used should conduct heat. organic
solvents work with few problems. Water carrodes the wick and tube.Mercury
must be sealed with Nitrogen or inert gas.Any system must have enough room
and strength to stand pressure caused by heat, excess solvent should be
avoided to prevent the tube bursting open with excess heat. The use of toxic
metals should be avoided. these require  expensive material such as pure
Nickel tubing . I have made crude heat pipes to warm my livestock water
tanks in the winter with ground heat. Any heat pipe less than 1/4 inch ID is
hard to make and good wicks hard to finds.
         Robert Heidlrbaugh