Neon tube primary

Original poster: "Jason Johnson by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <hvjjohnson13-at-hotmail-dot-com>

Does anyone know what the effects of using a custom neon tube spiral as a
primary coil would be? How much resistance is there per foot of gas? I would
really like to use something like this on a small demo coil, and it doesn't
matter all that much if the resistance makes the coil less efficeint (well,
within reasonable limits, I wouldn't tolerate a 50% efficiency loss). I've
also heard of some flexible neon tubing that is probably just tygon tubing
filled with neon, but would be alot easier to use than a glass tube,
actually it would even be easier than Cu tubing. The only problem I see is
tapping, but you could get over this a number of ways, the easiest would
probably be to shoot for a slightly large value for the primary and then add
topload to tune.

Ideas, comments?

<< Jason R. Johnson >>
G-3 #1129