Re: Neon tube primary

Original poster: "harvey norris by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <harvich-at-yahoo-dot-com>

> Original poster: "Jason Johnson by way of Terry
> Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
> <hvjjohnson13-at-hotmail-dot-com>
>
> Does anyone know what the effects of using a custom
> neon tube spiral as a
> primary coil would be? How much resistance is there
> per foot of gas?
The neon tube primary idea is definitely not seen as
practical. The losses are too great.I have used small
custom made 4 inch neons to model the differences
between an arc gap, and that discharge. That disharge
might be considered an extremely damped hf
oscillation.I have actually placed digital volt meters
across the smaller neons during discharge operation
from line tied resonant voltage rises. They take about
300 volts to start discharge and can consume only
milliamps. A tesla primary tank circuit of course may
involve much more amperage. Trying to make a neon
consume more amperage only seems to degrade the bulb
by causing sputtering of the end electrodes, and
blackening of the glass around that electrode.

In one experiment I did with alternator resonant
research,(check my message board for the latest
observations of 3 split voltages delivered from the
1.5  KVA 3 phase transformer, by alternator input!):
the 4 inch bulbs in delta output placed in parallel to
20 inch bulbs also in delta resonant outputs extracted
in line ties  from the same resonant voltage source
by high induction coils will always fire before the 4
inch ones will! The added resistance of the high
induction coils is 1000 ohms, which that parallel
circuit takes in preference to the assumed voltage
breakdown of 300 volts that the smaller neons are
known to use. In fact 400 volts can be read at the
initial junctions powering both delta loads, and yet
the preferred pathway becomes the one that must
transverse the 1000 ohmas in series!(actually 2000
ohms in complete pathway) Too see why that can be, the
voltage to the alternator field can be turned up. Then
a single bulb of the  4 inch delta will fire, but the
discharge shows yellow and violet color near the
electrodes, and is assumed to cause the blackening of
glass around that electrode, known as sputtering. The
reason the smaller bulbs do not want to fire, is
probably the higher amperage demand to be passed
through the bulbs if they fire at that point in the
delta application. The 20 inch bulbs when firing
already have the amperage reduced, and voltages
increased as a result of the high induction coils
further resonant voltage rise.

I have also compared the actions of neons firing
compared to an actual arc gap. The neon discharge
between resonant phases shows no back emf effects at
the scope monitored stator outputs, whereas the direct
arc gap does.

 I would
> really like to use something like this on a small
> demo coil, and it doesn't
> matter all that much if the resistance makes the
> coil less efficeint (well,
> within reasonable limits, I wouldn't tolerate a 50%
> efficiency loss). I've
> also heard of some flexible neon tubing that is
> probably just tygon tubing
> filled with neon, but would be alot easier to use
> than a glass tube,
> actually it would even be easier than Cu tubing. The
> only problem I see is
> tapping, but you could get over this a number of
> ways, the easiest would
> probably be to shoot for a slightly large value for
> the primary and then add
> topload to tune.
>
> Ideas, comments?
If you have a lot of bulbs to waste, go ahead and try
it!
HDN

=====
Binary Resonant System  http://members3.boardhost-dot-com/teslafy/