Re: Help with Secondary

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Mddeming-at-aol-dot-com>

In a message dated 8/27/01 12:50:46 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

> Original poster: "Shaun Epp by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <
> scepp-at-mts-dot-net>
>

> Hello Group:
> I'm just starting to wind and coat my secondary, it's 4.25" x 22" and
> I'mwinding it with 26 gauge magnet wire.  I've rigged up a winding  jig with
> a drill and variac to wind and dry it.  I've sanded and cleaned to pipe
> inside and out, Then coated to with polyurethane.
>
> The problem  I have is:
>
> How do make smooth coats with the polyurethane.  I bought the fast drying,
> clear gloss, oil based version made by Min Wax.... I hope some else has
> used this stuff.   I've tried a brush while the tube is spinning... the
> results were
> inconstitant coat

Hi Shaun!

I have used the same MinWax polyurethane on my coils with great success. I
use a dual-motor winding jig that runs 6-10 rpm counterclockwise for winding,
and then a 33-1/3 rpm clockwise motor (think old phonograph) for
coating/drying.  I hold the brush lightly against the tube and run it back
and forth a few times. This might be overkill but it has worked for me.
Polyurethane goes on looking lousy, bubbly, streaky, but with this rotational
speed and letting it run ALL NIGHT, after 4 or 5 coats, it looks good. (IMO)
        I also have some "EnviroTex Lite Pour-on High Gloss Finish", similar
to Behr50. It's made by Environmental Technology, Inc. of Fields Landing, CA
95537. It comes in 4, 8, 16, 32, 64 and 128 oz kits. At the recommended
4oz/sqft, the 8-oz kit should do one 4.25" coil. It is heat and alcohol
resistant, and waterproof. In my area "Do-It-Best" hardware store chain
carries this stuff. For a distributor in your area, E.T.I.'s number is (707)
443-9232.

Cheers,
Matt D.