Re: A very little coil

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <ajones18-at-bellsouth-dot-net>

>Original poster: "Skip Greiner by way of Terry Fritz
><twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <sgreiner-at-wwnet-dot-com>

>I picked up a 6kv -at- 1ma DC supply. I have built a small coil with a
>couple of screws for the break. The discharge from the top terminal
>is about 1.5" and I can draw sparks about 2" long with a screw
>driver. The discharge sparks are very fine and must be viewed in
>subdued light.
>Has anyone had experience at this power level...6w? Are these
>discharges about right or can I do better. Will appreciate all
>comments.
>
>Thanks   Skip

Hi Skip,

My first one was using a 6kv 1.2ma neon with the "square coil" in a
1990 copy of Popular Electronics. A little over an inch of spark was
all it could manage. After using the secondary in a bi-polar setup, it
could get 3" between terminals. About the same perfomance was achieved
with bug zapper transformers after the neon died.

Alan
http://personal.atl.bellsouth-dot-net/~ajones18/index.html