Re: Need help with mystery

Hi Steve,

12kV, 64 ohms...  What is the power in the resistors when the gap conducts
multiplied by the duty cycle?

(12000 / 64)^2 * 0.01 = 350 watts ;-))

You have a 50mA current with 190 amps spikes maybe lasting 100uS (120 times
a second).  Those spikes are like hitting the resistors with lightning!

Those numbers are a guess at what you have there, but when the gap conducts
it is dead shorting the 64 ohm resistor with 12000 volts.  The inductance
of the resistors and the resistances of the caps and wiring are probably
limiting the power somewhat from the above.  If you go to 1000 ohm 50 watt
resistors:

(12000 / 1000)^2 * 0.01 = 1.4 watts
+ 0.05^2 x 1000 = 2.5 watts

http://hot-streamer-dot-com/TeslaCoils/Misc/NSTFilt.jpg

When you raise the resistance, the 6uF cap will stay charged to a higher
voltage too since it is being somewhat discharged by the 64 ohm resistor.
All that heat can be converted to streamer ;-)

Cheers,

	Terry