DC coil help

Original poster: "Robert by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <obiwan1186-at-sunflower-dot-com>

list,
I am new to coiling, and I am just finishing my first coil (4.5"
secondary, 450W input). My next coil project is going to be a small
table top (2") coil. I want to make it battery powered (24vdc) but i
don't understand how to step up the voltage with DC. last time i checked
transformers are useless with DC input. how would you go about powering
a TC with this kind of power without an expensive power inverter? thanks
for the help,
Robert