Re: Terry's Protection Filter

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Tesla729-at-cs-dot-com>

In a message dated 7/22/01 9:47:19 PM Central Daylight Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> Hi Dave,
>
> I too use lightning arrestors on the HV side.  They are simple and handle
> anything we can throw at them.  After all they are designed to handle
> lightning
> strikes.  What are the voltage ratings on the ones you use?  I have not run
> any
> tests to see where they really clip.  Have you?

Richard,

I only have one lightning arrestor that I picked up at the 1999
Richmond Teslathon. It is rated at 12 kV and it is the only
one that I've been able to get my hands on. Where do you
find yours? Anyway, my pole pig is a 14.4 kV one and I was
able to test its "clipping" level when I ran up to 280 volts into
the 240 volt input of the pole pig. It does seem to start clipping
between 15 and 16 kV, but basically, it's invisible to the trans-
former at the 12 to 14 kV operational voltages.

Sparkin' in Memphis,
David Rieben