Re: Spark length vs watts

In a message dated 7/22/01 3:44:02 PM Eastern Daylight Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> Original poster: "S & J Young by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <
> youngs-at-konnections-dot-net>

Steve,

Twins give longer sparks for a given input power.  I use the equation:

   spark length inches = 2.4*square root input power (watts)

for twin coils.  I figure about 58" from a twin at 600 watts.

Greg Leyh's original large coil gave a rather linear response,
double the break-rate gave double the spark length.  His
electrum however worked differently.  I think that as coils
become more efficient, they tend to follow the square law.
In any case, I've found high break-rates to be much less
"efficient" than low break-rates.  Your measurements
are really measuring the effect of different break rates in
addition to measuring input power.  Using break rate
increases, I've found that doubling the input power increases
the spark length by only about 20%.  However I see you're
seeing the full 40% increase in some cases, which follows
the square law.  I would think your input power should
double when your break-rate doubles, but in many cases
it doesn't.  Any suggestions why this might be?

Your work is appreciated.

John Freau
---