Re: Triggered gap questions

Original poster: "Jason by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <jasonp-at-btinternet-dot-com>

> Howdy all,
Hi Johnathen,

> Started messing with a triggered gap last night, and I realized I didn't
> know how they are supposed to act. With no caps in circuit, power arcing
> only, should turning off the trigger extiguish the arc?
It depends on the trigger system. Say you use an IGN on the same phase as
the primary to trigger the gap then once the arc forms, it will probably not
break very easily. You need a very finely tuned gap to make a trigger work
effectively. I would set a normal 2 point SG distance for non triggered TC
use, then insert the trigger electrode, and make the gap wider until it
fires properly.

> Should the arc go
> from sg electrode to the trigger 'ode and then to the other sg 'ode, or
once
> fired should it cross the sg 'odes only, and skip the trigger 'ode?
Most of the time it will pass trough the trigger 'ode, not past it. This is
because the trigger 'ode is helping to lower the resistance by forming an
arc of its own, and therefore the TC tank current takes the path of lowest
resistance, i.e. throough the trigger 'ode.

> My
> trigger 'ode was getting hot, fast.
Yes, It would... its got plasma hitting it from both sides!!! If you want
your trigger to survive, either make it very big (liek a brass ball -
remember the current will pass *through* it anyway so it doesnt matter if
its big) or use a thin tungsten strip/rod. I personally would design it like
a protective SG.

> What about setting/tuning TSGs? Set the gap just far enough that the nst
> alone can't fire it, or wider or what?
As above

> Thanks, as always!
Good luck - hope it works!!! (My only TSG was on a cap discharge experiment)

Regards,
Jason