Re: VTTC 1kw

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "RICHARD HALL by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <richhallpfs-at-mcleodusa-dot-net>

> Hello Coilers.
> My first coil was built in 1957 using (2)807s its now near rebuilt. I
need help
> here I have an rf heater unit that uses 866s in the ps. and a pair of
592's for
> 1kw output. Its a buitifull platform for a tc.  Only slight mods required to
> chg. the tank circuit.  I would like help on sec. size  I see coils 1.5"
to 8"
> now Iam lost I think a 4-6" would look great and I know that coil size is not
> picked for looks is larger coil dia. picked for higher kw use.  The pri.
can I
> use a heil. coil or must it be flat.  I can supply the circuit dia. RICHARD
> HALL

	The most important thing about the primary is that it be tuned to the
resonant frequency of the secondary with the primary capacitor you
intend to use.  The next most important thing is that it have a loaded Q
of at least 5 or 10 make coupling to the secondary more convenient.
[That's a long story....]  In order to pick a suitable inductance and
capacitance you need to know the plate voltage and RF currents which
will flow in the primary when it is delivering the power you want at the
plate voltage you intenc to run.

	To summarize, the correct resonant frequency is MANDATORY; the
operating Q is of less importance.

Ed