Re: computer fans

>Original poster: "CJ Moore by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
><wizard1234-at-home-dot-com>
>
>I have been thinking about using computer fans as air cooling devices, but
>I am
>unsure as to how I should hook them up. Do I just plug it into an ac line?
>thought that they were DC at ~ 5 volts? Please help
>
>Thanks,
>CJ

Well, you CAN plug them into the AC line, but you'd better have VERY fast
reflexes because it's going to smoke and burst into flames in your hand. At
about 30VDC they tent to burst into sparks and flames, at 120VAC you're
gonna get FIRE :).

I've done a LOT of tinkering with computer fans (had a model hovercraft idea
about a year ago). For your applicaiton the best thing you could do is get
some of the BIG computer fans (like mainframes), or a muffin fan from
something other than a computer (lots of things use them). Shoot for
something in the 115VAC range. They're out there, and they work a LOT better
than the winpy 12VDC ones and don't require a seperate power supply. If you
need one let me know, I have 220VAC fans in the 5" size in stock.

duck

Christopher A. Boden Geek#1
President / C.E.O. / Alpha Geek
The Geek Group