Re: big cap

Original poster: "Shaun Epp by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <scepp-at-mts-dot-net>

Well I'm not going to critic  math :-))

But,

I have also pulled apart an impulse xray machine and inside it is a dual
(two in one can) 2uF 50Kv DC capacitors and it weighs lots.
(there was also 10 gallons of smelly transformer oil that I had to drain out
before I could get to it)

QUESTION:  What can we do with a big capacitor like these.  4uF -at- 50Kv
works out to 5000 joules of energy storage capacity.   WOOFF !!!   They were
series connected for 100 Kv and current limited by two 2Kohm resistors.
That works out to ..... 25 amps peak current (big deal).

can these oil filled caps be used in a can crusher or another neat project.
Any input would be appretiated.

Thanks for the replies in advance.    :-))