Re: Ford Coil Triggered Gap Testing

Hi Marc,

I fiddled with it a bit and now the AC line input looks like:

http://hot-streamer-dot-com/temp/CoilTest/NewACinput.gif

And the coil input looks like:

http://hot-streamer-dot-com/temp/CoilTest/NewCoilinput.gif

Some of the voltage spikes are radiated noise getting on the big probe and
are not real.  There is a 240 volt MOV across it and if I disconnect and
short the probe, the noise is still there ;-)  The Tek5100 probe would be
far better but the big probe can take a direct 40kV hit.

So it is well under control and very tame now.  I'll have to look at the
grounding system some more and see if I can get rid of that $30 line
filter.  It would be nice to model the thing and do some fault studies
(like discharging the primary cap into the coil's output and the coil's
input wires) to be sure there are no holes that could blow it up.  Far from
done yet but the problems should be tiny now...  Probably should ground the
coil can too...

Cheers,

	Terry