Nu-coiler

Original poster: "Wells Campbell by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <wellscampbell-at-onebox-dot-com>

hello list,

Actually, Nu is a little misleading, I built my first coil about three
years ago. It featured a 15/30 NST, a 14" x 1.7" OD secondary, and gave
me crackly little 14" point to point sparks at it's best. Esoteric features
included winding the bottom of secondary with thicker magnet wire to
aid in current transmission, a maggie setup with a larger secondary and
using existing secondary as third coil, and a configuration where I used
a rolled plate capacitor / inductor as the primary coil. I rolled the
plates around a large form which fit around the base of my secondary,
and tapped the plates at opposite ends, so that the thing's internal
inductance functioned as the tank inductor. I suppose that it oscillated
with itself.  New component name: Incapacitator. Neat but impractical.
Imagine trying to pot in oil.

anyhoo, it seems I have the bug again.

This go-round, I am planning on the following: MOT driven voltage doubler
setup for power supply, thick pug-shaped maggy config, and I am going
to experiment with just how small and compact I can make my extra coil.
I am thinking about ways to make the system tunable during runs (maybe
two pancake primaries, with the bottom one able to move up and down?)
and in general, very versatile and modular. (apartment coiler <<grimace>>)

First things first: I tried to do my homework on the MOT supply, but
don't have too much experience combining the caps and diodes in a HV
supply like this before. I plan on seriesing the secondaries, with centers
grounded, then experimenting with the schematics offered by greg hunter
on his website (very nicely done). I am off to scrounge more ovens, I
gutted my first last night. I anticipate some error during my trials,
and will probably be submitting questions about protection conventions,
such as resistor usage and bypass cap values for the diodes, etc.

Finally, I live in San Francisco, any coilers from roun' here? I met
Jim Heagy quite by accident, he is probably the reason I started fiddling
again (hi Jim, I was photographing with Phil Harvey on your doorstep
earlier this fall),  Also, any events coming up in the Bay Area? Any
good resources for parts, etc? Thanks all,

wells

--
Wells Campbell
wellscampbell-at-onebox-dot-com - email