Re: GB> Chaffee Spark Gap

Original poster: "R Heidlebaugh by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <rheidlebaugh-at-zialink-dot-com>

on 12/02/01 6:33 PM, Tesla list at tesla-at-pupman-dot-com wrote:

> <Parpp807-at-aol-dot-com>
>
> Hi Bert ,
>
> The only reference is the one given in the article:
>
> Goldsmith, Alfred N., Radio Telephony, The Wireless Press, NY, 1918.
>
> I'll get back on the Glowbugs reflector to see if any more info is available.
>
> Regards,
> Ralph

People today dont realize that the microphone in the old transmitters was
directly in series with the high voltage supply suspended with 4 silk cordes
from a brass ring. If you got to close you got fried. I hope this helps
explain how the old AM modulation was first done. This would work for spark
gap or tube systems. My father had the first trans- ocean transmitter in
Hawaii in 1923 KHELEN using this system. I may still have a mike. The Tx
used two mercury-tip-pot rectifiers and a 9 point rotery spark gap, later
changed to a 12 point spark gap. ( just like your TC )
   Robert  H