Re: Static Gap Spacing

Figure, you want a breakdown voltage of around 20 kV (Epk for 15 kVRMS is
21 kV).. In an ideal uniform field gap, this would be around 0.28".. Your
gap is non uniform field, so you can stretch it out a bit.

Also, your gap is divided into 11 little sub gaps, so you want to
distribute the 0.30 inches among all 11 gaps.  I'd start with spacing them
something like 0.03 - 0.05 inches each (think spark plug gap spacing)..
Then, you can adjust your gap firing voltage by shorting one or more of the
little gaps out.

Set your safety gap so that it is far enough apart that it just stops
firing with just the NST hooked up to it (running at the nominal running
voltage: 120 or 140V...etc).

I would second Terry's suggestion of using glue to stick the pipe down.  5
min epoxy is good. A nice thick(viscous) CyanoAcrylate (Hot Stuff,
SuperGlue, Eastman 910, etc.) is even better (because, if you need to, you
can dissolve it off with nitromethane or "CA debonder").  I wouldn't use
hot glue (well, maybe, as an experiment) because as the tubes get hot, the
glue will melt (unless you've got a nice airflow.)

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Erik Kettenburg by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <missyrat-at-pacbell-dot-net>

> Hi,
> I'm making a static gap out of 12 3" peices of 1" copper pipe all screwd into
> lexon/lucite in a row and I'm wondering if there is a way to know how big to
> make the total gap width (i'm using a 15kv/30ma transformer) also how do
I know